Learn How to Write Without Fear
Create Original Material with Confidence
Explore Life In Your Own Words
Wish Casting would see you as your dream type? Stop looking for the perfect role and create your own. A writing for actors class is key to taking control of your own narrative. In this 8-week workshop, actors learn how to use the storytelling skills they already possess to write monologues, sketches, scripts, and screenplays for themselves and others. Explore your experiences on the page to create personal and original writing.
The Writing Actor is for you if you...
Want to create deeply expressive content that reflects the world that only you know.
Want to write but don't know where to start.
Are dying to write your own audition monologue, play, or pilot.
After this course, you will…
Create personal audition material that showcases your type and talent.
Know how to build your character into a scene, into a play, into a world.
Have the tools and confidence to take your great ideas and put pen to paper.
The Writing Actor
Instructor: K. Lorrel Manning
Ready to apply?
- This is an open level class and no audition is required. You can apply online.
- Select the LOG IN/CREATE ACCOUNT button to submit your application.
- Questions? Call us at 212-741-0209 or send an email to email@example.com so we can help.
New to online classes? See what our students think about studying digitally.
5 Reasons Why Actors Should Take a Writing Class
- Only you know that character deep inside who has been dying to come out.
- Casting Directors can only handle hearing Neil Simon monologues so many times…
- Auditions are not the only way to carve out an acting career. Some actors, like Issa Rae (creator of HBO’s Insecure), take the bull by the horns and write their own roles.
- Writing can fuel the creative passion that keeps you moving forward.
- Actors are master improvisers and character builders. They can bring so much to the heart of a story. Why not use that talent?
In addition to writing and directing, K. Lorrel Manning is an actor and the lead singer in the rock band La Res. His first feature film Happy New Year had its world premiere at the 2011 SXSW Film Festival and has screened at over two dozen film festivals, winning multiple awards in the U.S. and abroad. He serves as resident director at the Off-Broadway theatre company The Barrow Group.